Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Report

Started off the weekend right by partaking in Bike to Work Day on Friday. Put in some extra time and mileage to make up for being lazy on Thursday night. I blame Luke.



Kidding!

It was good news for me that we had another weekend of slower, steady long miles ahead of us! I was looking forward to getting back up to SART, and also heading out to Cuyamaca, where I've only ridden once before.

Friday night Steph and Dan came up after dinner so we could be up and on the road to Mentone in the morning. Ever since Brian turned us on to climbing up from Loch Leven that is our new starting point for SART. It's a good warm-up climb that takes place on pavement, dirt, fire road, and a bit of singletrack (overgrown fire road).

It was warm when we arrived at the trailhead, but honestly… I don't recall temps ever being all that bad. A lot of the trail is shaded, and while it wasn't a squelcher, it wasn't cool, either. Temps were just right!

Up, up, up



Taking a pic, of Stephanie about to take a pic :)



Train!



Heading out behind the PO



He'll be ridin' all over



About to descend, yay!



Fun singletrack for sure







We hadn't stopped a whole lot, but finally did at Glass Rd for a break. I hadn't taken in many calories, so it was time for one of these to get me up to South Fork!



Yum.

The trail ahead



Snow in the background



Once we got up to South Fork it was time to fuel up for sure. I took in a MASSIVE amount of calories. I just could not stop eating. I figured I'd wind up with a lot of stomach issues on the way back to Angelus Oaks, but I kept eating anyway. Naturally!

Made it back to Glass Rd with no problems, and continued on. My only issue was my right foot. It was giving me a LOT of trouble wearing my old Sidi's. I used to love those shoes, and now they just generate a lot of pain and discomfort. Weird.

Stephanie as we head back down to the creek crossings



We had waited a bit at the trailhead for Luke. I had unfortunately missed his email the night before asking on start time, so I wasn't sure if he was going to show. We took off, and he had actually caught us as we hit Middle Control the first time around, before heading up to Glass Rd. He did a bit of bonus mileage!





Justin approaching the post office near the end of the day



I had been a little sad we were shortening the ride by over an hour, so I did a pretty good effort up Middle Control back to town. We sat around a bit wondering where Luke was at (he had already headed back down to Loch Leven), eating, resting… and eventually made our way down. It was less than 25 minutes to descend, and over an hour to climb! Good one.

We stopped and ate at Cuca's. The chicken burritos are seriously killer!

We got some sleep, but not enough, Saturday night, and were up early to get packed up and head out to Cuyamaca. Warm temps greeted us once again, but we loaded up and got on the trail!

Uber blue skies all day





We visited more than one park



The crew





Steph and Justin





Some fun traversing





Gorgeous views



We did some route finding with the crappy map they sell. Er rather, Dan tried to do some route finding with the crappy map :)



The steed! Watch out, he bucks around horses



Chillin' before another climb



Love the views…







Stephanie







One last big hill ahead… steep pavement



The best



Friends!



Parting shot…



Overall, great weekend. I didn't feel very good the rest of the afternoon. Not sure if it was due to heat or nutrition or whatnot, but I felt pretty bad. Felt great this morning, but then did a gym workout, and now I'm WORKED again :) So much for regen!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nice work up Middle Control! How long did it take you to climb it?

I'm sure we saved ourselves some painful bushwhacking by not descending the rest of SART (though in a sick way, I was looking forward to it).

Sonya said...

Yes.. GREAT weekend!!!